UK Parliament votes on UK Modern Slavery Bill on 17th of March
London, Wednesday, March 11th 2015 – UK consumers would switch brands if they learned that their chosen product was made by exploiting workers, according to a new consumer poll by the Walk Free Foundation, a global organisation dedicated to ending modern slavery.
Improved methodology highlights 20% more people across the world in modern slavery than previous estimated, according to the Global Slavery Index 2014
Global Slavery Index 2014 key findings:
- Modern slavery exists in all 167 countries covered by the GSI
- Total number of people enslaved: 35.8 million people
- Improved methodology uncovers 20% more enslaved people than previously estimated
- Five countries account for 61% of the world’s population living in modern slavery
- Africa and Asia continue to face biggest challenges
Please note that throughout, the terms ‘enslaved’ and ‘slavery’ are used as synonyms of ‘modern slavery’ and should not be interpreted to suggest traditional slavery in which people were held in bondage as legal property, which has been outlawed in every country across the word.